So I did it. I started a go fund me account to finance starting an online and print Surf magazine for women. I feel nervous and overwhelmed because I know that, well I took on a huge load. At the same time I am beyond excited!
After a whole day thinking and pros and cons I decided it was best to start something huge like this with just one focus point. One sport. After researching more women’s sports magazines I saw a few that look at all female athletes and I knew that wasn’t for me. The idea hit me because I’ve always been drawn to the Ocean, to surfing and because of that I think I saw how down played women surfers are. So when the idea hit me it was mostly to bring awareness to these women. To inspire the younger surfers to not be just sex symbols in a mans surf magazine but show the world what they’re made of, their real talent and struggles.
I have a big to do list:
- Gather information on the whereabouts of International Pro female surfers as well as State level Pro’s.
- Check out dates, locations and times of women’s surf competitions.
- Call, email, Facebook, twitter female surfers *Repeat*.
- Come up with a media kit to present to potential sponsors.
- Contact surf brands and ask for donations and sponsorship and ads.
- Set up interviews with surfers.
- Build website.
- Hire some one to help me gather content and edit website on the daily as well as help with promoting and social media
- Contact Hearst Magazines about publishing a women’s monthly surf magazine.
- Travel to the surf heats- interview- record- write-update website
- Get a more reliable vehicle so that traveling around doesn’t risk my 1990 legend kahpooting on me.
- Collect stories from guys/ of guys (more specifically male surfers) who support female surfers
It would be the greatest compliment if you shared my link to help me make this idea (dream) into a reality!!!!!!